Have you ever gotten home and realized that your pretty black outfit is covered in white flakes? Even though dandruff isn’t a serious condition, it can be seriously embarrassing. Just because it isn’t dangerous to your health doesn’t mean it isn’t frustrating to be constantly worried about flakes getting all over your things! When you discover those pesky flakes, your first question is probably how to get rid of dandruff fast.
Dandruff is very common and can be caused by many factors. It’s important to first understand what is causing your dandruff before you can treat it. Whether it’s due to overproduction of oils on your scalp, dry winter weather, or harsh chemicals in hair products, this guide will show you how to get rid of dandruff fast and, hopefully, for good!
Anti-Dandruff Shampoos: How to Get Rid of Dandruff Fast
Surely you’ve noticed that every store with shampoos offers a variety of shampoos targeted at treating dandruff. Though some of these are very similar to one another, different dandruff shampoos can feature very different active ingredients!
- Shampoos with salicylic acid exfoliate your scalp, eliminating the scaly flakes.
- Selenium sulfide and zinc pyrithione help decrease scalp inflammation and can get rid of bacterias and yeast that cause dandruff.
- Ketoconazole treats dandruff by decreasing the overproduction of yeast on the scalp.
- Coal tar slows down the production of skin cells on your scalp and helps get rid of excess dead skin flakes. Coal tar can cause discoloration in blonde, gray, or white hair. It is better suited for people with darker colored hair. It can also make your scalp extra sensitive to sunlight. If you use products with coal tar, cover your scalp with a hat or umbrella to avoid getting a sunburn.
Each dandruff shampoo has its own specific set of instructions, so make sure to read those carefully before you use the product! You can always alternate between different shampoos to find the best dandruff shampoo for you.
You may expect frequent washes to cause your scalp to dry out more. That’s not the case! You should wash your hair daily in order to better treat dandruff because it will cleanse the scalp of unwanted oil and dead skin buildup.
Keep in mind that you should shampoo daily and only use dandruff shampoo twice a week if you are Caucasian or Asian. If you are African-American, you should shampoo only once a week using dandruff shampoo. If you want to use dandruff shampoo daily, find an anti-dandruff shampoo formula with natural ingredients.
Natural Home Remedies: How to Get Rid of Dandruff Fast
If your dandruff is caused by harsh chemicals in your hair products, you might want to try using these natural dandruff remedies at home to gently treat those pesky white flakes.
- You can use tea tree oil to unclog the pores on your scalp! You can find tea tree oil at health food stores or vitamin shops. Just rub a few drops of tea tree oil on your scalp. It is used as an astringent and will reduce the oil on your scalp as well as relieve the annoying itchiness!
- Vinegar is a remedy for so many things, including dandruff! Use either white vinegar or apple cider vinegar diluted with water to improve the pH balance of the skin on your scalp. Vinegar will also rebalance the flora on your scalp and decrease irritation.
- Aloe vera is great for soothing and healing irritated skin. It is effective against itchy, scaly skin caused by seborrheic dermatitis, a skin condition that often creates dry dandruff flakes.
- Mixing water with pure lemon juice can help fight bacteria and fungal infections that can cause flaky skin.
These natural remedies will make your scalp healthier in general and you’ll feel pleasantly refreshed while treating the symptoms of dandruff.
Natural remedies are more gentle on your scalp than dandruff shampoos with strong active ingredients, but it can take longer for them to start creating results. To speed up the process, you can pair these natural remedies with an anti-dandruff shampoo.
Oily Scalp Treatments: How to Get Rid of Dandruff Fast
When your scalp is itchy and flaky, it feels dry, but dandruff can actually be caused by a build up of too much oil! This is why the flakes of dead skin feel greasy. Too much oil on your scalp will weigh your hair down and make it look dull and flat. Getting an oily scalp treatment will help alleviate the overproduction of oil on your scalp while reviving your hair!
Oily scalp treatments blend ingredients such as argan oil and essential oils that are rich in antioxidants. These ingredients work hand in hand to improve pH balances and soothe inflammation of the hair follicles which, when inflamed, can produce too much oil! Oily scalp treatments regulate the oils of your scalp and give your hair body and life.
- Separate your hair into sections and apply a few drops of whichever oil you’ve chosen to your scalp on each section.
- Gently massage the oil into your scalp and let it sit for five to 10 minutes to penetrate the hair follicles.
- Comb the oil through your hair and rinse out in the shower.
You can pick up shampoo specifically designed to use with oily scalp treatments from your local beauty supply or health food stores. The shampoos will work alongside the oils to give your heal your scalp and give your hair luscious life!
Don’t Let Dandruff Bring You Down
If you see some flakes in your hair or on your clothes, don’t panic. These tips will show you how to get rid of dandruff fast and painlessly. In no time you’ll be able to rock your favorite black jacket with confidence!
Dandruff is very common and does not usually require a trip to the dermatologist. Sometimes, though, flaking and itching of the scalp can be caused by other, more severe, conditions and infections that should be checked out by a doctor.