If your life is hectic, waking up early to apply a deep conditioning treatment isn’t always possible. Between your duties at work, school, and home, life can get chaotic. We all want that smooth, luscious, red carpet worthy hair that bounces and shines beautifully. Unfortunately, we can’t all afford weekly salon treatments or a team of hairstylists following us around. Luckily, gorgeous, lively hair doesn’t have to be just a fantasy! Avoiding simple mistakes can keep your locks strong and fabulous. These tips for healthy hair will give your hair new life!
Once you know these five tips for healthy hair, you’ll easily be able to get the luxurious hair you desire! And you won’t have to break the bank or disrupt your life! I let my clients know that these simple, effective tricks will help them achieve their hair goals including repairing damaged hair or maintaining its natural health. These are five tried and true practices that every hair stylist recommends!
Keep Your Hair Protected
There are so many things you encounter every day that can damage your hair. You should always take care to avoid this damage by protecting your hair from things that can damage it. Tips for healthy hair will tell you to avoid excessive sunlight, the wind, salt water, pollution, rain, and dirt.
- A hat or umbrella can act as a hair protector. They will prevent your hair from exposure to the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays, strong winds, and rain. If your hair and scalp become too dry, you will be more susceptible to infections that can hurt both your hair and your skin.
- Before you take a dive into the ocean or a chlorinated pool, rinse your hair in the shower. It will not absorb salt water and chemicals.
- Applying oil to your hair will keep it moisturized and nourished, but you don’t need to use much. A little bit of oil will go a long way.
Be Gentle with Your Wet Hair
Wet hair is actually quite fragile. It’s easy to get in the habit of running a brush through your freshly cleaned hair and throwing it up in a towel. However, it’s very important to be careful with wet hair.
- When your hair is wet, its roots are more susceptible to lasting damage which can begin while you’re still in the shower. If you shampoo your hair too rigorously while showering, you can cause damage to those roots and shafts. You can create a good, sudsy lather without shampooing your hair too harshly.
- After a shower, give your wet hair time to air dry or sit under a shower cap before you brush it.
- Gently brushing damp hair with a wooden or ceramic hair brush will spread the natural oils from root to tip.
- Don’t put tight hair ties in your wet hair. Tightly pulled hair can cause friction which will cause unwanted breakage! Lying down with wet hair will also cause this.
Match Your Shampoo and Conditioner
- Shampoos and conditioners of the same brand and product line will be more effective at nourishing your hair. They have similar ingredients designed to work together!
- Whether your hair is dry, oily, curly, fine, color-processed, etc., you want to choose shampoos and conditioners that are formulated for your specific type of hair.
- Always use lukewarm or cold water to wash and rinse your hair! It might take some getting used to at first, but washing with hot water can actually dry out your hair! Some of these tips for healthy hair may seem strange at first, but they’re lifesavers!
- You should always use a moisturizing conditioner when you wash your hair to keep it from getting frizzy, even if you think your hair is too oily or too fine. Conditioners are meant to keep moisture sealed into the shafts of your hair. You don’t need to put conditioner on your scalp. Start conditioning about two inches down from your scalp.
Use the Right Hair Dryer
You should try not to use a hair dryer or other hot tools too frequently on your hair. Too much heat will inevitably cause damage! One of the most important tips for healthy hair is keeping it safe from the heat!
- When you do need to use a hair dryer, though, find one that is designed for your hair type! If you use the correct type of hair dryer, you can get the styles you want without sacrificing the health of your hair!
- Using a hair dryer that doesn’t work for your hair type will not only be less effective at drying it and styling it, it will cause unnecessary damage to your hair!
- On days when you aren’t using a hair dryer, be gentle when you towel dry. Don’t rub your hair with your towel because it will cause friction and breakage. Pat your hair dry! It may take longer to dry this way, but it will save your hair from getting damaged and falling out!
Add Clarifying Shampoo and Masks to Your Routine
- Now that you have a matching shampoo and conditioner, make sure you also pick up a clarifying shampoo to use once a month.
- You only need to wash your hair two or three times a week so that it doesn’t lose its natural oils. Even if you’re not washing it too frequently, though, you can get product build up on your scalp which will make your shampoo and conditioner less effective.
- Treating your hair with a clarifying shampoo once a month eliminates that product buildup and refreshes your hair so that your shampoo and conditioner will be able to do their best work!
- If you have color treated hair, try to find a clarifying shampoo meant for color-treated hair, or use your clarifying shampoo before you have your hair colored. You should also use a hair mask designed for your hair type once a week when possible. Your hair will be grateful for the nourishment!
Tips for Healthy Hair: They’re Simpler than You Think
When you take care to use these tips for healthy hair, you can prevent it from getting damaged. Once you start implementing these five tips for healthy hair into your normal routine, you’ll realize how easy it is to keep your hair looking and feeling great! When your hair is happy and healthy, it will be shiny and fabulous enough to make anyone jealous, whether you’re a famous celebrity or not.